Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tuesday June 3rd, 2008 OUCH.

So this morning June the third was a ride that registers way up there on the Ouch Meter. Also would someone turn off that hairdryer. It is way to hot. So... on with it. Flyer Shirer brought out Clayten Knievel, Jeff Brand brought a buddy and I Humbly brought myself. So we did our parade lap and took our places at the parking lot start. Shirer was calibrating his power output with his Mirror and finally realized it was 6:59:30 so we decided it best to get a move on. The first lap had a whole host of celebrities to catch up with. Brian firmly earned his invite to this falls BBQ shindig by showing up and working on the Tuesday ride for the second time in a few short weeks. His bike was spotless as usual. Eric Prim also brought out his bat and ball to give us all a look at what it is like to be a crit/dirt specialist. Freds Bar Mitzvah Band must be on the on the road to Royal and Central for a tea festival, as he was not there today. As the ride was showing its true spirit at a reasonably brisk pace, out of no where comes Brian (your hard ride is boring me) Fawley. As we entered the Hills/Lions den for the fist lap a group of rather cagey riders gathered at the front with a bit of purpose in the pedal stroke. This was also made more urgent as the second hill was skipped which basically rolls us into the new second hill at a full sprint. Thanks to Bill for that one today. Anyhow, thats about all I saw (except for Mirage guy who did a dive bomb into the ducks by the sailing clubs (who gave that guy the right to buy a bike) ) as the first set of hills put me on the defensive (close to puking) posture for the rest of the second lap......Until we hit the hills for the second lap. Brian (I am so Bored now) Fawley decided to really pin it and roll away on the run up to the hills. Richy, was chasing but not really gaining a lot of ground was heard muttering something about "I though this new bike would make me faster". It is definitely a pretty bike though. Anyhow I felt a since of urgency and started pedaling out of desperation at the front. At this point a ride of 40 turned into a ride of 11 with one of the 11 up the road. We did bring Flying Fawley back at the top of Loving but it was the beginnings of a break of 4. That break was brought back to a certain extent on Lakewood. I then went to the front to keep the pace high only to have Flying Fawley break my spirit on the roll into the sprint and "that was all folks thanks for coming tonight, we are doing two shows tomorrow".

For today's honorable mentions. The guy on the tractor on the blind corner at the end of the first lap. I would check to make sure he was not driving a car in Mexico Sunday. Jeff Brand for his new Shoes. I hope he remembered to pull the silca bag out before putting them on. To Dave Parks for replacing yet another spoke on a 10 year old wheel. The good things never die. Finally to Prim for wearing white after Memorial Day. Oh Who can leave out Mirage Boy, I might recommend a set of rollers and a new pair of prescription glasses for that cat. I am wearing elbow and knee pads if he keeps showing up. Thanks again for making the cycling community such a great group of guys to associate with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ricky-Willy, nice comments, but there was nothing about our break away up the road. I guess that's good journalism. You can't write about what you don't see or experience. And by the end, we were so far gone that you guys were no where in sight.

I didn't realize that TeePee hill was such a tough climb.

RickMabus said...

Shirer Flyer. Tinney being gone does not mean the loss of his erogance needs to be spread amongst the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

R-W, I'm not interested in any arrogance dispersal. Randy left me all of his local arrogance when he left, and I'm not looking to share it. Diluted Arrogance is not good. It must be served full strength.

As for RT, I believe he is picking up some Calif arrogance that I understand is a little more erudite .
btw, Come to think of it, the name Randy Tinney sort of fits in with names such as Ricky Bobby or Ricky-Willy.