Thursday, July 24, 2008

Fast Fashion Forward

Well, it had dawned on me that Thursdays rides really don't offer a ton of great material so we are going to take a bit of a left turn with the Thursday posts and although the ride will be a point of reference, a quick chasing of rabbits might be in store. Also offers have been extended to others to post a slightly different perspective of the ride (Flyer Shirer) but those offers were left unfulfilled. As a result a complete essay detailing why you should be considered to post in the future must be submitted. The individuals that care will vote on the validity of said essay and we will see where we go from there.

Today. Basically after some slicing and dicing Greg the bike breaker almost pulled off a major upset but Pretty boy Boyd took it at the line. More on him later but here is our rabbit, lets run..... Today offered some interesting risks and what not. The gentleman in the red and white with the Fujiyama bike was certainly a clever rider/ although I saw myself leaving a ton of skin at the lake today in my mind but somehow he managed to save it, almost like he does that a lot. I am all for our rides being inclusive, but when you risk me wrecking you are not welcome. Borrow my rollers Red and we will see you next summer. Jordan. Deciding to skip the hills from the inside left was cute. Thank goodness I ride a dirt bike too. Finally the guy who I believe went to UT. Taking a hard right from the bunch at the bridge is totally cool. Just let the rest of us know. Another swerve and dive and off we go.

Now for the fashion fast forward stuff. Red had on yellow socks and touring shoes. Boooo. Now Shirer flyer on the other hand had some new white shoes that he even tap danced in on Tuesday. Literally. But his shoes and pedals cost more than his entire fixed gear bike. I am not sure what to think about that. After UT football fan almost sent me into the lake today I rolled up next to Pretty boy Boyd on his new Orca bicycle. I happened to look over and noticed these kickin glasses on his face. I simply said "hey nice glasses". He looked at me with a stone faced look and in a nasal loud voice shouted out a "HHeeeeyyyyyy, I am Harry Carry". I laughed so hard I pee'd my pants a little bit. The most interesting new Fashion icon winner is Lester the Bike Molester. I spent a better part of the smooth side discussion some of his most recent decisions and we all should take note, because the overall point is really not how fast you are, but how fast you look!! So Lester went with a new Bar and Stem. But the bar is now wrapped in white bar tape, with white brake hoods on his campy record shifters. Very nice. Also added to the kit were a new white seat and also new white shoes. Its the subtleties that caught my eye. The Arundle bottle cages with white labels to match the white on the frame were a classy touch. Kind of like a chick wearing sexy undies. No one else knows but her,.... but she knows. Don't get me wrong I am not saying Lester tbm wears women's undies or that he is slow; I am saying he looks good regardless of how much pain he is inflicting. Now The Count on the other hand gives us the utilitarian look which is also good. Christian is still hiding his footwear which is ok. It is his shtick and I get that.

Let me establish a modest goal for those of us who are constantly out there scaring the crap out of walkers and families on Tuesdays and Thursdays. In these tough economic times lets start small. Lets work on getting the socks to match! That way when people jump off the trail in utter fear that will at least say, "darn those guys look good." Ride hard with the rubber side on the ground and we will see you soon.

5 comments:

bbaker said...

I'm confused. What constitutes matching socks? Should they match your bike frame? Jersey? This is tough stuff for those of us who have already thrown in the fashion towel.

RickMabus said...

I am thinking simply matching the Shirt and Shorts is a good start for us all.

Anonymous said...

I base my sartorial savy on Larry Dupler. If Dupler is wearing it, it IS cool. If Parks is wearing it, it WAS cool... about 10 years ago.

White shiny shoes and tall socks are spify. If you shoes aren't good looking, spats are a good idea, or go with the shoe covers ala Christian Z.

I'm looking for some shorter shorts since my legs are soo skinny. I think I still might have some of those basketball shorts.

And custom jewelry for the rear view is in the works. I'm thinking big bling on the mirror.

Jordan said...

Funny. I was on the phone talking to Harry Carry from DBW talking about Fuji's handling skills and then I get called out.

That hurts.

RickMabus said...

Senior Jordan. I love like a sister but I call it the way I see it. I don't really every find fault with myself either!! Ever!!