Thursday, July 10, 2008

Spaulding You'll get nothing and like it!!

No real good reason for the title but simply to pay homage to a great movie. Today was a rather uneventful Thursday. The one real surprise was the size of the bunch at 6 am. Where have all of you people been hiding. One thing is for sure is that Yorkshire Pudding was a new and fast face to the bunch. I do want to give a special shout out to all of you for slowing a bit to let Brandnew and I catch on when we turned around. Onto a couple of points of interest. Flyer Shirer is going to get some serious blog time here. His ride instruction and choice was like a order at Starbucks this morning. No Whip, Extra Foam, Semi Sweet Latte please. He was skipping hills taking pulls and riding backwards to keep his power meter under 200.00. Also we have taken special interest in not running folks over on the east side of the lake, which is a good thing. That being said this morning Flyer was basically doing the YMCA in order to point out the pedestrians. Don't be surprised to see Flyer show up with an Indian head dress and tool belt next Tuesday. As a tribute to the Village people we can then call him the Village idiot!

Onto the sprint today. I have noticed with all the Barricades, that being close to the front without hitting the front is really a tough task. That being said I came into the sprint with a small hope of putting in a last chance flyer prior to the sprint, which also requires staying at the front. So we hit the smooth side and the Tabinator took a rager of a pull only to swing off and get swept to the back. Then Yorkshire Pudding hit the front and it was wide open for a long time. At that point I was thinking "How do you launch a flyer when the bunch is doing 30?" So back to the drawing board. When you are sitting 3rd wheel with a mile to go your sprint is pretty much off. That being the case I decided to take a grinder pull and at least keep the pace high for a bit. So I did. The Count came around on the last left hander and The Tabonator and I rode across the line talking about the battles for position in the sprints. Good clean fun for the day. I then got to my office only to notice some idiot tried ducking the dart rail arm on his motorbike as it was coming down and hit a bump sending himself bouncing down the street like a golf ball on the cart path. The guy was 6'8" and was wearing a t-shirt and shorts. Road Rash time!! Fox 4 was interviewing his helmet which was quoted as saying "I sure was glad I was wearing that guy for protection of this could have been a lot worse." Well thanks for checking in and lets keep it rubber side down out there.

No comments: