Thursday, August 14, 2008

When will the Hotternhell whatever be over

So I am probably right in assuming that the heat has more to do with the recent increase in traffic but the HHH100 always does seam to drive out the morons for the month of august. And by using the term morons you are correct in your conclusion that we did in fact pay our reservation fee to the parks and recreation department of dallas and we are the only ones entitled to be on the roads trials or bridges at the lake darn it. Speaking of parks and recreation where in the free world has he been? And Lester TBM? In the sprint today Robert won....yeh.

So on with the musings. Last year I had a close friend (the center of our football team in high school) offer up the challenge that he wanted to do the HHH full 100. I told him that if he trained hard from May to August I would help him get there. Well I got a call about two weeks out that he had been training but had not gone more than 30 miles. Me and another buddy took him on a 50 miler and he almost died doing the south loop. I basically dropped any worries I was heading to Witchita Falls. Monday before however I got a call and he had informed he had signed up. I realized we had not chance in you know where to get a hotel so I started looking on craigs list to see if we could find a camping trailer to put in the RV area. Michael Slaughter was intending on staying in a hotel but decided to ditch that idea and stay with us. Well I was thinking to myself, if I am going to do 100 miles easy might as well do the MTB time trial the night before. Which I did and it was fun about a dollar a minute for riding basically on a recently flooded riverbed. So on to the funnier stuff. We got this 25 foot trailer from a dude in Lewisville. I hooked everything up and off we went. Got to Witchita Falls and pulled into the parking lot of the MPAC center with a 25 foot trailer in tow. Those of you who have been there at 5 pm realize just how stupid this is. Anyhow I got into the parking lot and immediately clipped a ladies car. Only problem is I did not realize it and drove off. Because we could not find adequate parking I parked in a vacant lot. We casually went in to register and came out only to find a cop at our trailer. I thought he was giving me a parking ticket. When he told me what he was doing I begged for a parking ticket. So off to the camp grounds we go. We hooked up our water and electrical and nothing worked. This old bubba came by while I was off doing the mtb time trial thing and he turned everything on. I got back from the TT and realized our water at the sink had been on the whole time and flooded this poor dudes trailer. Woops. So we waited till it got dark and since there was no sewer hook up we drained our water storage tank on the ground!! About then Slaughter and he band of ruffians show up and we started chatting about the fun we had had so far. Early morning tomorrow so lets get some sleep right. Well about that time the air conditioner took over and started working like a champ, which was really the whole idea behind the trailer in the first place. Well Michael got cold jumped off his bunk and turned off our ac. sooooo about 4 am it got so freaking hot we had to stumble around in the dark and turn our ac back on. Needless to mention I will not be towing a trailer to HHH this year. Incidently my buddy and I finished the 100 in 6 hours and 42 minutes!!

2 comments:

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael said...

I had so much fun sleeping in that trailer last year at HHH that I have sworn to never do HHH ever again.

Michael